Phi Beta Delta is the premier honor society dedicated to scholarly achievement in international education. With 154 chapters at universities worldwide, Phi Beta Delta honors those who serve internationalism—the idea of an interconnected world, of respect for different traditions, of the need for education to enhance one’s knowledge and understanding of the many regions and cultures around the globe. Having a chapter of Phi Beta Delta at RWU is a tangible way to demonstrate our core value of appreciation of global perspectives. Among its numerous benefits to a participating institution, Phi Beta Delta:
- Strengthens a worldwide network of individuals and institutions committed to promoting international education.
- Provides a mechanism for bringing together international faculty and students and U.S. faculty and students for meaningful interaction and exchange of ideas.
- Provides an appropriate vehicle for recognizing individual and institutional excellence in international education.
- Builds bridges on campus between domestic students and international students.
- Promotes scholarly research and writing in international education through its journal and newsletter.
- Augments and enhances the academic programs of the institution related to international education.
- Encourages joint research and writing by linking international scholars throughout the world.
- Brings together international educators and students for an exchange of research and ideas at its annual conference.
We proudly inducted 54 new members in the first class of RWU’s Epsilon Rho chapter of Phi Beta Delta on February 7, 2007. While Epsilon Rho is a new chapter, Phi Beta Delta has been the honor society of international studies since 1986 when it was first founded at California State University.
Membership is open to those with high academic achievement and a demonstrated interest or involvement in internationalism.
Information about Phi Beta Delta can be found at the society’s website:
What is Epsilon Rho?
Epsilon Rho is the Roger Williams University chapter of Phi Beta Delta. Established in 2007, our chapter has welcomed new members every year, culminating in an awarding of honors cords to graduating seniors at the university’s Awards Banquet.
The Phi Beta Delta Epsilon Rho chapter accepts student, faculty and staff applications for membership. Student Membership is open to all who qualify following the completion of at least one semester of enrollment at sophomore standing or as a graduate student. Students must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher. In addition, students must demonstrate international competency through completion of 6 credits or more of international, global or intercultural coursework AND a) experience studying, researching, living, or working abroad OR b) involvement in other international endeavors. For more information, click the Membership tab.